I believe that one should always be striving to serve others, both personally and professionally. It is an important aspect of the job for a professor, as well as a way to have a positive impact on the communities in which we live.
Some of the service opportunities I have taken on in my role as a graduate student at Virginia Tech are:
- Vice President of American Society for Engineering Education Student Chapter at Virginia Tech,
- Two years as the treasurer for the American Society for Engineering Education Student Chapter at Virginia Tech,
- Representative of the department of engineering education to the Virginia Tech Graduate Student Assembly,
- Graduate student representative on the department search committee for a new staff position,
- Judge for FIRST Lego League, and
- My diversity scholar project to increase awareness of issues of sexual identity in engineering.